Reading books on the craft of fiction writing is part of the journey to learning your craft. The same way we study recipes and test them on unsuspecting subjects: our kids and spouses.
I won't bore you with why I think you should read the books below. Would it help if I promised you'll get published if you do? How about: Read the books below and I guarantee you'll become a better writer. You'll definitely be inspired.
In alphabetic order: (read them in any order you like)
- Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
- Character, Emotion, & Viewpoint by Nancy Kress
- Elements of Fiction Writing by Orson Scott Card
- On Writing by Stephen King
- Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell
- Scene & Structure by Jack Bickham
- Stein on Writing by Sol Stein
- Techniques of the Selling Author by Dwight V. Swain
- The Elements of Style
- Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass
A to Z Challenge